The Internal Medicine Research Committee (IMRC) has announced the recipients of the 2018-2019 Seed Research Awards. The program has awarded a total of $15,705 in mini-grant funding for five projects led by faculty from the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine’s Department of Internal Medicine.
The award recipients and their projects are:
- Tamis Bright, M.D.: “Bone Density and Aromatase Inhibitors”
- Javier Corral, M.D.: “Mismatch Repair Enzyme Deficiency in Pancreatic Cancer Amongst Hispanics”
- Alexander Philipovskiy, M.D.: “Adherence of Hispanic/Latina Breast Cancer Patients to Adjuvant Inhibitors (AIs)- Second Phase”
- Irene Sarosiek, M.D.: “Endocannabinoid Gene Polymorphisms in Diabetic Gastroparesis: A Case Control Study”
- Marc Zuckerman, M.D.: “The Epidemiology of Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders on the U.S Mexico Border Based on Rome IV Criteria”
In 2010, the IMRC established the awards to provide financial support to internal medicine faculty with innovative research ideas.
“Members of the IMRC are very happy to provide faculty the support to test talents, expertise, and passion in their research get-up-and-go,” said Jerzy Sarosiek, M.D., Ph.D., Dr. h.c. associate chairman for research in the Department of Internal Medicine. “IMRC members appreciate TTUHSC El Paso for the support and growth of research at the university, the school’s financial support, as well as the encouragement of those who have chosen academic careers.”
The Paul L. Foster School of Medicine’s Founding Dean’s Office provides the funding for the award program from an indirect cost redistribution policy, initiated in 2008. Through the awards, these funds support the medical school’s mission to promote and support research, teaching and clinical service.
Since 2010, 31 faculty from the Department of Internal Medicine have received funding totaling $188,572.
IMRC members are:
- Department of Internal Medicine Chair Debabrata Mukherjee, M.D.
- Director of GI Motility and Neurostimulation Research Irene Sarosiek, M.D.
- Founding Chair and Director of GI Research Richard W. McCallum, M.D.
- Assistant Chief Medical Informatics Officer Diego De La Mora, M.D.
- Director of Research Division Sean Connery, M.S.
- Vice Chair for Research Jerzy Sarosiek, M.D., Ph.D., Dr. h.c.
- Medical Research Office Assistant Karina Espino, M.S., B.S.