Nearly a dozen Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso faculty were recently named to the annual list of Super Doctors in Texas, published in the December edition of Texas Monthly. Only 5% of doctors in the state receive this designation each year.
The faculty also serve as attending physicians with the university’s medical practice, Texas Tech Physicians of El Paso. These faculty-physicians, as well as other Super Doctors across the state, were chosen based on a combination of peer recognition and professional achievement. The nomination process begins with physicians answering the question: “If you needed medical care in one of the following specialties, which doctor would you choose?”
From there, qualifying nominees are assessed on 10 indicators of peer recognition and personal achievement: years of experience; hospital appointments; fellowships; professional activities; leadership positions; academic achievements or positions; board certifications; publications, lectures and presentations; honors and awards; and other outstanding achievements.
The physicians who made the list are:
- Lorenzo B. Aragon, M.D., FAAFP, Medical Director of Texas State Veterans Home, Director of Inpatient Services, TTP El Paso.
- Javier Corral, M.D., Oncologist, Internal Medicine, TTP El Paso.
- Juan Figueroa, M.D., Critical Care Medicine Specialist, Department of Internal Medicine, TTP El Paso.
- Richard Lange, M.D., M.B.A., President of TTUHSC El Paso and Dean of the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine; Cardiologist, Department of Internal Medicine, TTP El Paso.
- Charmaine Martin, M.D., Family Medicine Specialist, Department of Family and Community Medicine, TTP El Paso.
- Carla A. Martinez, M.D., FACOG, Maternal Medical Director, University Medical Center of El Paso Level IV Maternal Care, Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, TTP El Paso.
- Armando D. Meza, M.D., Infectious Disease Specialist, Department of Internal Medicine, TTP El Paso.
- Jennifer Molokwu, M.D., M.P.H., Family Medicine Specialist, Department of Family Medicine, TTP El Paso.
- Peter M. Thompson, M.D., M.S., Director of Southwest Brain Bank, TTUHSC El Paso; Psychiatrist, Department of Psychiatry, TTP El Paso.
- Alan H. Tyroch, M.D., Chief of Surgery and Trauma Medical Director, TTP El Paso.
- Justin M. Wright, M.D., Family Medicine Specialist, Department of Family Medicine, TTP El Paso.
Their selection reflects TTUHSC El Paso’s growing prestige since becoming an independent university in the Texas Tech University System in 2013. Dr. Lange, who has personally made the list several times in his career, said he’s proud of the faculty who made the list. He attributed their inclusion as Super Doctors to the high-quality care each world-class physician delivers and their standing on national committees that help set guidelines and standards for medical practice.
“It’s a huge honor, especially for such a young campus. It highlights the high regard the TTP El Paso doctors are held in by their peers around the state,” Dr. Lange said. “I’m incredibly proud to be part of an institution that has this level of expertise. And I would add there are many other individuals at TTUHSC El Paso and TTP El Paso who are equally as talented. It’s not only an honor to have them as a part of the university but also to be among great physicians.”
Dr. Molokwu, who has also been named a Super Doctor on several occasions, said much of the list’s prestige comes from being selected by her peers.
“Patients have always been my motivation. I always teach my residents and students that every patient who walks through the door is a VIP,” Dr. Molokwu said. “It’s heartwarming to realize your peers hold you in that high of regard – that they would go to you if they needed to be treated.”
Making the list for the first time was maternal fetal medicine physician Dr. Martinez, who said she’s humbled to be in the company of top-notch physicians.
“Being named a Super Doctor by Texas Monthly is uplifting during a trying time for health care professionals. It offers reassurance that I’m doing what I’m meant to do: providing prenatal care for the diverse community that I’ve grown to love and honor. El Paso is where I completed my residency program and where I chose to build my practice after I completed my fellowship.”
TTP El Paso is the region’s largest multispecialty medical group practice, with over 250 specialists and subspecialists providing care for the entire family at several locations across El Paso.
To make an appointment with our Super Docs, visit ttpelpaso.com.