Student Run Free Clinic Receives Grant from Susan G. Komen® El Paso

Student Run Free Clinic Receives Grant from Susan G. Komen® El Paso

Many people recognize the Komen name from the Race for the Cure and other popular fundraising events. What many people do not realize, however, is that the funds raised by these events stay in El Paso to support organizations and programs targeted at improving access to breast health services throughout the community.

Susan G. Komen El Paso recently awarded the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at El Paso Medical Student Run Free Clinic a $21,000 grant to assist students with providing breast cancer education, screenings, diagnostic testing, treatment and support for the uninsured and underserved.  “With the Komen funds, the medical student run free clinic will be able to extend more services to more patients and continue to serve the El Paso community, said Chetna Pande, Paul L. Foster School of Medicine third year student. “We’re proud and excited to now be part of the ongoing fight against breast cancer!”

Komen El Paso awarded more than $300,000 to local non-profit organizations, educational institutions and national breast cancer research during an event recently held at the International Museum of Art. The grant recipients included organizations and educational institutions that provide breast cancer education, screening and treatment to underserved men and women throughout El Paso County.
Other recipients include:

– Cancer and Chronic Disease Consortium
– El Paso Baptist Clinic
– Rio Grande Cancer Foundation
– University Medical Center Foundation of El Paso
– YMCA

Susan G. Komen El Paso will also award $68,110 to national breast cancer research for a grand total of $307,574. For more information on the specific grants awarded, visit www.komenelpaso.org.

Now in its twenty-third year, Susan G. Komen El Paso is dedicated to the Komen mission, supporting and sponsoring breast cancer education and awareness programs throughout El Paso County. Since its inception, Komen El Paso has produced more than $4.3 million to provide underserved men and women with breast cancer education, screening and treatment resources. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in El Paso County. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 915-533-4433 or visit www.komenelpaso.org.