Two Texas Tech Physicians cardiologists addressed cardiovascular disease awareness in support of February as Heart Month today at the Medical Education Building. Local media was invited to interview TTUHSC El Paso President and cardiologist Richard Lange, M.D., M.B.A., and Jorge Martinez-Lopez, M.D. for information on keeping the heart healthy.
Some cardiovascular disease prevention tips include:
· Work with a healthcare team- Get checked!
· Monitor your blood pressure – 1 out of every three American adults has high blood pressure (HBP), and many are unaware
· Get your cholesterol checked- Your health care team should test your cholesterol levels at least once every 5 years
· Eat a healthy diet, limit sodium- Choosing healthful meal and snack options can help you avoid CVD and its complications
· Exercise regularly- Physical activity can help you maintain a healthy weight and lower cholesterol and blood pressure
· Don’t Smoke. Limit alcohol use – Smoking is the number one modifiable cause of death
· Manage your diabetes
· Take your medicine
‘The Doctor Will See You Now’ is a new series started by TTUHSC EP Communications and Marketing that will feature Texas Tech Physicians experts addressing health topics. See this week’s video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIgohbF0Aa0&list=UUmqAMVvHprUEbV_REmHG5pAt.