TTUHSC El Paso Welcomes Back Students; First Sponsor of Foster School of Medicine 10-Year Celebration Announced
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso celebrated the start of the new school year with a Welcome Back Lunch on Wednesday, Aug. 28, for faculty, students and staff.
Students from the Gayle Greve Hunt School of Nursing and the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences began classes on Monday. Students from the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine returned to classes earlier this summer.
Along with the celebration of a new school year, the Welcome Back Lunch kicked off the 10-year anniversary of the Foster School of Medicine, which opened its doors to an inaugural class of 40 students in 2009. The Foster School of Medicine has produced more than 400 graduates to date.
The 10-year anniversary’s official celebration, a “Red Tie Affair For A White Coat Occasion,” will be held on Friday, Feb. 28, 2020. All event proceeds will go toward medical student scholarships. The Foster School of Medicine recruits students from El Paso and across West Texas, with a mission of improving access to quality health care in the Borderland. These scholarships will assist both students from El Paso and students who have returned to the Sun City to attend the Foster School of Medicine after completing their undergraduate studies elsewhere.
One of the first major sponsors of the “Red Tie Affair For A White Coat Occasion,” Electronic Caregiver, was announced at the Welcome Back Lunch. The company has pledged $10,000 for medical student scholarships.
Las Cruces-based Electronic Caregiver, which employs more than 100 people, is one of the fastest-growing health and safety monitoring tech companies in the country.
“We want to try to contribute the best that we can to provide medical school scholarships and set an example for local companies,” said Electronic Caregiver CEO Anthony Dohrmann. “We’re happy to be supporting the programs that support these students, the local economy, and most importantly, health care.”
Along with Electronic Caregiver’s celebration sponsorship, TTUHSC El Paso also announced that several El Paso-area restaurants are joining in on the 10-year anniversary celebration by offering discounts to TTUHSC El Paso students and employees who show a valid identification badge.
Participating restaurants and their discount promotions include:
- Pan y Agua Group restaurants Crave, Hillside Coffee & Donut Co., Cantina Malolam, El Cuartito, Electric Cactus and Independent Burger: 10% off, excluding alcohol, from Aug. 28 to Sept. 28 and Jan. 28 to Feb. 28.
- L&J Cafe: 15% off, excluding alcohol, from Aug. 28 to Feb. 28.
- Salt + Honey Bakery Cafe: 15% off, excluding alcohol, from Aug. 28 to Feb. 28.
- Rulis’ International Kitchen: “Tech Tuesdays”—every Tuesday from Aug. 28 to Feb. 28, 10% of proceeds will be donated to Foster School of Medicine scholarships.
- J&K Present at Lost &Found: Lost & Found will host a happy hour event on Oct. 24, with 10 percent of the proceeds going toward Foster School of Medicine scholarships.
- Ita Kitchen: During the Lost & Found happy hour event on Oct. 24, 10% of proceeds will go to Foster School of Medicine scholarships.
- Electric Cactus: Happy hour fundraising event, TBD, with 10% of proceeds going toward Foster School of Medicine scholarships.
For ticket and sponsorship information on the “Red Tie Affair For A White Coat Occasion” celebration, visit: bit.ly/redtiewhitecoat.
Alumni of the Foster School of Medicine can share memories and experiences during their time as medical students on the 10-year anniversary’s website at ttuhscep.edu/foster10.