Internal Medicine Seed Research Awards
Almost four years ago, the Internal Medicine Research Committee (IMRC) established the Seed Research Awards to provide financial support to internal medicine faculty with innovative research ideas. “The IMRC’s goal was to encourage faculty to pursue clinical or basic/clinical research, and to generate preliminary data for extramural funding,” according to Jerzy Sarosiek, MD., Ph.D., vice chair for research in the Department of Internal Medicine and chairman of the IMRC.
The funding for Seed Research Awards is provided by the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine’s Founding Dean’s Office. Through the awards, these funds support the medical school’s mission to equally promote and support research, teaching, and clinical service. “The Seed Research Awards provide faculty the opportunity to take their designs and ideas to the next level,” said Dr. Sarosiek.
Last month, IMRC members carefully reviewed applications and distributed Seed Research Awards to six medicine faculty. Funding began on March 1 and lasts until February 28, 2015.
The following principal investigator projects were funded:
- Abbas Aamer, M.D., with collaboration of Agunanne Enoch, M.D. – “Reduction of Re-Hospitalization in Heart Failure Patients Utilizing Body Weight”
- David Gough, M.D., with collaboration of Jennifer Dochee, M.D. – “Defining Cluster Components of the Metabolic Syndrome in Border State Hispanics”
- Richard W. McCallum, M.D., with collaboration of Gengqing Song, M.D., Irene Sarosiek, M.D., and Yan Sun, M.D. – “Effects of Transcutaneous Electroacupuncture (TEA) on Brain Function and Gastric Function in Gastroparesis”
- Antonio Mendoza Ladd, M.D. – “Bacterial Genotyping in Patients with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth”
- Zeina Nahleh, M.D., with collaboration of Ahmed El Far, M.D., Osvaldo Padilla, M.D., and Alok Dwivedi, Ph.D., “Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition (EMT) Markers in Hispanic Breast Cancer Patients Receiving Neoadjuvant (Preoperative) Chemotherapy and Correlation with Pathological Response”
- Mateo Porres, M.D., – “Prevalence and Characterization of Lung Vascular Disorders in Hispano-American Population with Portal Hypertension/Liver Cirrhosis”
Since funding began in 2010, 15 faculty from the Department of Internal Medicine have received funding. “Members of the IMRC believe in providing faculty opportunities to test their abilities, skills, perseverance and enthusiasm in research endeavors,” said Dr. Sarosiek. “IMRC members appreciate Dr. de la Rosa’s support to the growth of research on the El Paso campus, through the school’s financial support, as well as his encouragement to those of us who have chosen academic careers.”
IMRC members are: Diego De La Mora, M.D., Juan Figueroa, M.D., German Hernandez, M.D., Richard McCallum, M.D., Department of Internal Medicine Chair Debabrata Mukherjee, M.D., Zeina Nahleh, M.D., Irene Sarosiek, M.D., Jerzy Sarosiek, M.D., Marc Zukerman, M.D., and Sean Connery, MS.